Sunday, July 25, 2010

Wide Load

The last thing in the world I wanted to do was work out at the gym. It was Friday. It had been another long miserable week. I simply did not have the energy. Being the dutiful gym newbie though, I drove myself to the last place in the world I wanted to be. I told myself that I would just get through it and then go home to be a couch potato the rest of the night. I was thinking about even having ice cream. And a really big bowl of it too. I really like ice cream Uninspired, I drug my fat ass inside the gym. Wide Load yelled his “hey”. He was sitting on a bench near the squat rack. I went over and sat beside him.

“Motivate me”, I told him, “I have no energy and even less desire to be here today”.

“Sorry Rach,” he said back, “I’m the wrong guy for you today. It's leg day and there is always a good reason not to do squats.”

I smiled and threatened that I was just going to leave then.

“Great, where are we going . . . and will there be beer”.

“Mom’s house, there’s a pool and there's beer . . .if you like Corona”.

“I love Corona, let’s go. How’s Mom going to feel about me drinking her beer”.

“Mom’s not going to be there”.

I do not think it possible for me to ever forget his smiling response.

“God loves me, he really does”. At that, he was up, had his bag slung across his shoulder and was herding me towards the door.

I do not understand me some days. I was not intending to be bad. My 'being bad' was going to be limited to a 'big bowl' of ice cream later that night. I was really looking forward to that ice cream. I know - nobody will believe me. I was just playing around. I was. Really. And yeah, I ended up being very bad.

To be continued . . .

1 comment: